Hair masks can do a lot of good, butÂ onlyÂ if you’re using the right one. Each day your hairÂ comes in contact with many negative triggers that can cause damage, dryness, and breakage. It is essential to know why you need a hair mask and then buy or make one at home thatÂ would suit your hair best.
Before you buy anything, you need to identify the issues you’re trying to solve: Is your hair heat damaged, over-processed, dry?
These seven Do It Yourself (DIY) hair masks will nourish your hair and leave them silky smooth.
The best thing about these hairmasks is that the ingredients required are not something you have to look too far for. In fact they’re probably already sitting in your kitchen cabinet or fridge. Let’s take a look at some of these natural products and their hair benefits.
1. Banana, Egg and Yoghurt
- Take one banana, mash it
- Add half cup yogurt and one egg,
- Mix them together and apply to your hair.
- Massage gently and wash after 30 mins
This is a natural conditioner to treat dry hair. It also helps to make your hair soft and shiny by locking moisture in them and preventing dryness of the scalp. It’s a great source for preventing hair breakage and split ends.
2. Coconut, Honey and Lemon
- Take one tablespoon of coconut oil,
- Add one tablespoon of honey in it.
- Mix into a pot and heat up until melted.
- Squeeze a lemon in the mixture, apply to hair from top to bottom and cover with a shower cap
- Let it sit for 15-20 mins
We all know thatÂ lemonÂ juice boosts collagen production that is responsible forÂ hairÂ growth. But combine it with coconut oil, and you’ll get more amazingÂ benefitsÂ like improved blood circulation on your scalp and reducedÂ hairÂ loss, itchiness, and greasiness thanks to its fatty acid and vitamin C content.
3. Avocado, Almond oil and Yoghurt
- Take one avocado, mash it.
- Mix two tablespoon almond oil in it.
- Add 4 tablespoons yogurt
- Apply to your hair from roots to ends, massage gently on the scalp and let it sit for about 20 mins
The avocado hair mask will restore shine, fight frizz and repair any damage.Â Treating your hair with avocado not onlyÂ strengthens your hair but also makes them soft like silk.
4. Brown Sugar and Olive Oil
- Take two tablespoons of brown sugar and add one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Â Mix all ingredients into a bowl
- Â Apply to your hair from top to bottom
- Â Let it sit for 15-20 mins
- Â Rinse
The brown sugar mask will help aid dry, itchy or flaky scalps and remove any dead skin cells.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar, Rosemary and Mustard Oil
- Take two spoons apple cider vinegar
- Two table spoons crushed rosemary
- Two table spoon mustard oil
- Mix the above ingredients together and apply to your hair
- Let it sit for 30 mins then rinse.
Apple cider vinegarÂ can help nourish your hair on a regular basis. It also helps treat dandruff. Its acidity makes it hard for the fungus (which contributes to dandruff) to thrive on your scalp. Rosemary and mustard oilÂ help stimulate hair growthÂ prevent baldness and slows graying.
6. Peach and Yoghurt
- Mash two ripeÂ peachesÂ until it’s a smooth consistency
- Mix in a cup ofÂ yogurtÂ and apply on yourÂ hair
- Gently massage the mixture on your roots
- Put on shower cap and let it sit for 20 minutes
- Shampoo, condition and rinse well.
Being loaded with plenty of nutrients, vitamins and antioxidants,Â peachesÂ make yourÂ hairÂ healthy and silky. Their positiveÂ effectsÂ on your scalp include providing protection againstÂ hairÂ loss.
7. Watermelon and Mayonnaise
- Take few watermelon cubes and discard the seeds
- Â Mash them and mix one teaspoon of mayonnaise with it
- Mix together to make a thick paste
- Apply this on the scalp with special attention given to the hair roots
- Allow it to sit for 30 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo
The amino acids present in watermelon help to boost blood circulation on the scalp and promotes healthy hair growth. Mayonnaise, along with promoting hair growth, helps to nourish and moisturise our hair.