News of the Day: It was a warm and bright Sunday afternoon and the cool and collected veneer of the HSY Mansion belied the hyper activity that it has been hosting these past couple of weeks. This has been the hub of all things LSA; ideas and their execution have been brewing here, the stars have been rehearsing here. And the biggest star of all, Atif Aslam, was making an appearance to make a huge announcement.
Here’s what you need to know, based on what he said, what was announced, and what can be assumed from my post-press conference conversation with him…
- Atif Aslam will be hosting the 16th annual Lux Style Awards. Previous show hosts have included Ali Zafar and Shaan.
- Atif will also be performing at the show. “My performance will have a lot of emotional value to it,” he said. “But at the same time it will be very contemporary and will have a new sound to it. It’s something that I’ve never done before.”
- The superstar agreed that the time he shared the stage with Reshma has to be his most memorable LSA moment till now. “That’s right,” Atif agreed when I recalled the magic he created with Reshma in 2008. “And you know what she said to me? She said, beta aaj tum ne Reshma ko jawan kar diya hai.”
- He also made a recurring reference to emerging talent and spoke of the new talented indie musicians that he felt had tremendous potential.
- “I like SomeWhatSuper,” he said. “And I like that rapper dude, the Sibbi boy,” he said, referring to Abid Brohi, who went viral with his ‘Sibbi Song’ this year. That’s an indication that you’ll hear the ‘Sibbi Song’ at the LSAs too. “Mooroo has great production value too.”
In Show Director, Hassan Sheheryar Yasin’s words, this will be “Atif like never before”. For now, he head back to rehearsals as he was later flying out to Dubai and Mauritius for gigs. He’ll be back in time to pick up from where he left. And we’ll see him next at the Lux Style Awards!