Shaan-e-Pakistan Music Awards 2020 wrapped up last week with its final ceremonial spell in Karachi. Held digitally this year due to COVID-19 pandemic, SEPMA took Pakistani music to new heights by recognizing and awarding legendary artists as well as new names in the industry. That’s not all, the brains behind Shaan-e-Pakistan, Huma Nassr organized a digital summit to open much-needed conversations about music in Pakistan.
SEPMA 2020 introduced many fresh concepts with different ceremonies held in Lahore, Dubai and Karachi. Here are 15 highlights from the one-of-a-kind music awards that will be remembered for years to come:
1. The event included a Drum Circle Music Festival that aimed to transcend borders and bring Pakistanis together with a virtual show to highlight the best in music achievements.
2. A story about the power of music with different beats composed in a rap song by the talented vocalist, Shahzad-e-Ali.
3. The new and beautiful melody Ishq Na Manne was composed by talented Sufi singer, Hamza Akram Qawwal.
4. Musical Summits were held in Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad respectively where different musicians and maestros shared about their journey in the industry and their views about a connection with music and SEPMA.
5. Shaan-e-Pakistan presented melodious SEPMA Taraana, a special release from SEPMA Mix Tape Volume 1. It was sung by Javed Bashir.
6. Thousands of self-nominations came from all over the world, which were justified by a dignified jury comprising music maestros. They selected the best of the best amongst them to be the “Shaan” of Pakistan.
7. The Award Revealing Ceremony took place in Lahore and the trophy was unveiled by Shafqat Amanat Ali and the CEO, Huma Nassr.
8. Due to the prevailing pandemic, the award ceremonies were held digitally in Karachi, Lahore and Dubai. Strictly following all the SOPs and social distancing measures, Team SEPMA organized the events.
9. An award was especially sent to UAE for the winner of the Best EDM Music category, Mr. Umer Farooq. The award was presented by Mr. Nasr Khan, CEO of Nova Color LLC Dubai.
10. The Honorary Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan Lifetime Achievement Award was given to Abida Parveen. Rahat Fateh Ali Khan won an award in the category of Best OST Music for Meray Paas Tum Ho.
11. A new category “Best Individual Musician” was introduced to honor the legendary musicians behind many beautiful melodies. This time, the award was bagged by drummer Louis J. Pinto aka Gumby.
12. SEPMA special edition merchandise were disseminated as the Creative Director keeps SEPMA alive through her vision.
13. The digital format covered pre-productions through Shaan-e-Pakistan production unit to travel all over Pakistan to take visionaries for discussion as panelists.
14. Pakistan’s renowned CEOs were especially invited as honorary award presenters for each genre of music. There were supporters like Ms. Noor Jahan Bilgrami from Karachi and others from all over the world.
15. Mr. Irfan Pardesi, the founder of Zee Foundation and a businessman from South Africa, was the last event’s main patronage. He was especially invited by Shaan-e-Pakistan to present Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan Lifetime Achievement Award to Abida Parveen as her residence, keeping all social distancing protocols in mind.