Despite sexual harassment allegations against Hollywood star Kevin Spacey, his movie titled Billionaire Boys Club will be released on August 17. The film — which was shot over two years ago — also stars Taron Egerton, Emma Roberts, Ansel Elgort and Jeremy Irvine to name a few.
“We hope these distressing allegations pertaining to one person’s behaviour — that were not publicly known when the film was made almost two-and-a-half years ago and from someone who has a small, supporting role in Billionaire Boys Club — does not tarnish the release of the film,” the film’s distributor Vertical Entertainment said in a statement to CNN.
“We don’t condone sexual harassment on any level and we fully support victims of it. At the same time, this is neither an easy nor insensitive decision to release this film in theatres, but we believe in giving the cast, as well as hundreds of crew members who worked hard on the film, the chance to see their final product reach audiences. In the end, we hope audiences make up their own minds as to the reprehensible allegations of one person’s past, but not at the expense of the entire cast and crew present on this film,” the distributing company said.
In October last year, the Oscar-winning actor was accused by Anthony Rapp, an actor, who said Spacey harassed him when he was 14 and the star was 26. Spacey was accused of seducing the child by lying down on top of him during a party at his New York apartment in 1986. Following the allegations, Netflix cancelled its flagship TV series House of Cards featuring Spacey in the lead role.
Here’s the trailer of Billionaire Boys Club: