Last year, Bollywood witnessed the emergence of the #MeToo movement which took the lives of many filmmakers and actors by storm, resulting in their expulsion from projects and lawsuits against some. One such person was veteran actor Alok Nath. After being accused of rape and sexual harassment by filmmaker Vinta Nanda, an FIR was filed against Alok. However, the court has now, granted him anticipatory bail and Alok has commented on the situation, conditionally.
The actor who is known for his ‘sanskari babu ji’ image because of the characters he has played, was accused by three women of sexual harassment, leaving fans shocked.
Yesterday (Monday), the actor broke his silence for the first time and issued a statement. “The honourable court and my lawyers have advised me to keep completely silent for now. In fact, I’ve been quiet throughout. Maybe, some words escaped my mouth in my state of angst. But otherwise, I’ve been lying absolutely low for the last three months,” Indian publications quoted him as saying.
Alok also said that he is not in a position to make any comments about the case and allegations against him, however, he has been granted anticipatory bail by the court and is truly grateful for it. He thanked his wife Ashu Singh and called her a ‘pillar of strength’ throughout his journey.
“She has been a pillar of strength for me. I am grateful to God that in my journey she has been my co-traveller throughout. She has been with me always. And my truth is her truth, and that’s God’s truth. So I am grateful to God for that.”
Alok, however, is uncertain what his next legal move would be as it all depends on orders issued by the court. “I cannot preempt anything right now. But one thing I can tell you. This battle will reach its logical conclusion, and the truth, whatever it is, will be revealed,” he said.