Bollywood actor Ajay Devgn has recently said he was shocked to hear about the #MeToo allegations against some of the prominent names in the Indian film industry but he believes a due course of law should be followed in such cases.
“A couple of things came out and some people are like this [guilty] but everybody is not like that. I would say some names did shock me but then I can’t be judgmental completely till somebody proves someone guilty or not,” Ajay said talking to Indian news agency PTI.
The prominent names accused during the recent wave of #MeToo movement in Bollywood included renowned actors, singers and filmmakers such as Rajkumar Hirani, Subhash Ghai, Sajid Khan, Vikas Bahl, Rajat Kapoor, Alok Nath, Nana Patekar, Kailash Kher and Anu Malik.
Ajay believes the power game does not work anymore in the industry. “New generation is thinking differently; they are not going to accept the bullshit that people used to accept couple of years back. They are changing and we are changing and that change is for better. With the media coming in, everything is out in the open. ‘You can’t say I am very powerful and you can’t mess with me’, you cannot mess with anybody as everybody is at the same platform, at the same stage. So big or small doesn’t matter anymore, which is a good thing,” he said.
Ajay Devgn with Anil Kapoor & Madhuri Dixit at the trailer launch of Total Dhamaal
In an earlier interview, Ajay had told IANS that proper investigation is the only way to go about these cases.
“I would also like to mention that it is good that many stories are coming out (in the public), but one also has to understand that while most of the accounts are possibly real, some might have taken advantage of the gaining momentum. Therefore, investigation is needed. When people take advantage of the movement, it harms the purpose of the actual cause. Not all people are bad. But if we are only projecting one side, the next generation might get scared to step into the industry. That is why it is important to be responsible,” Ajay said.
The actor even took to Twitter last year and tweeted how disturbed he was to hear about the state of affairs in the industry.
I’m disturbed by all the happenings with regards to #MeToo. My company and I believe in providing women with utmost respect and safety. If anyone has wronged even a single woman, neither ADF nor I will stand for it.
— Ajay Devgn (@ajaydevgn) October 12, 2018